1) He shouted at the top of his voice.(他放声高叫。)-n.
2) He is running at the top of his speed.(他正以最快的速度奔跑。)-n.
3) He is the top student in the class.(他是班上的尖子学生。)-adj.
4) This is the top news of the week.(这是本周的头条新闻。)-adj.
5) His father is a top diplomatic advisor.(他父亲是高级外交顾问。)-adj.
6) Mother is going to top the cake with cream.(妈妈准备在蛋糕上浇奶油。)-v.
7) He tops his father by half a head.(他比父亲高出半个头。)-v.
8) She needs a new skirt to match her top.(她需要一条新裙子配她的上衣。)-n.
come out top(名列前茅) come out on top(出人头地) from top to bottom(从上到下，彻底地) from top to toe(从头到脚;完全) on top of the world(非常幸福;心满意足)
13. Several hundred miles eastward from Florida there is a part of the ocean called the Sargasso Sea.
called the Sargasso Sea 是修饰ocean的定语从句，在其前省去了which is.
1) Opportunities are often thing (that) you have not noticed the first time around.
2) There is much (that) the little boy can do.(有许多是那小男孩能做。)
3)He is the right person (that) I want to discuss the problem with.(他正是我想与其讨论这个问题的人。)
14. In the days of sailing vessels the crew were afraid they would be becalmed here. Sometimes they were.
1) In his boyhood days， he often went swimming and fishing with his friends.(在他的童年时代，他常常和伙伴们一起游泳，钓鱼。)
2) In the days of Queen Victoria， the British colony expanded rapidly.(在维多利亚女王时代，英国殖民地迅速扩张。)
3) He has experienced a lot of hardships in his days.(他一生中吃了许多苦。)
crew是一个集合名词，指“全体船员”，后面的谓语动词可以用单数也可以用复数，此句中谓语动词用的是复数were，因为从句子中可以推断出是许多vessels(船)上的船员。Sometimes they were.句子中省略becalmed.
15. The Atlantic furnishes much food for the people on its shores.
furnish sth. to sb. 意思是“为…提供”，我们同样可以用furnish sb. with sth.来表达这个意思。例如：
They furnished blankets and food to the refugees.(他们为难民供应毯子和食物。)
No one expected that he would furnish the information to the opponent.(谁也没有料到他会把消息提供给对手。)
Luckily， they have furnished us with a car and all the necessary maps.(幸运的是他们为我们提供了一辆汽车和所有必要的地图。)
16. One of its famous fishing regions， the Grand Banks， is near Newfoundland.
the Grand Banks在句子中做同位语。请看下面的例句：
1) This theory was advanced by Einstein， a famous scientist. (这个理论是由着名科学家爱因斯坦提出的。)
2) This is Mr. Benjamin， dean of our department.(这是我们系主任本杰明先生。)
3) Qinghai Lake， the largest inland body of salt water in China， lies 3，198 metres above sea-level.(中国最大的内陆咸水湖青海湖海拔3，198米。)
1. separate from 2. keep sb. from doing sth.
3. be unwilling to do sth. 4. between A and B
5. make sth unusual 6. so…that
7. dry up 8. on the average
9. rise from 10. furnish sth for sb.
11. pile up 12. from…to
1) The Atlantic is one of the oceans that separate the Old World from the New.
2) Ocean currents affect the climates of the land near which they flow.
1) One idea was that it reached out to “the edge of the world”。
2) Another idea was that at the equator the ocean would be boiling hot.
1) There is so much water in the Atlantic that it is hard to imagine how much there is.
2) We now have such fast ways of travelling that this big ocean seems to have grown smaller.
1) The Atlantic is only half as big as the Pacific， but still it is very large.
2) It is more than 4，000 miles wide where Columbus crossed it.
3) Even at its narrowest it is about 2，000 miles wide.
4) Also， it is the world's saltiest ocean.
5) The deepest spot is near Puerto Rico.
E.be one of+复数名词
The Atlantic Ocean is one of the oceans that separate the Old World from the New.
F.it takes sb. some time to do sth.
It would take the ocean about 4，000 years to dry up.
Asia (亚洲) Europe(欧洲) Africa(非洲) North America(北美洲)
South America(南美洲) Oceania (大洋洲) the Antarctic(南极洲)
The Atlantic(大西洋) the Pacific(太平洋) the Indian(印度洋) the Arctic(北冰洋)
continent (大陆) continental shelf(大陆架) subcontinent(次大陆) iceberg(冰山)
mountain range(山脉) volcano(火山) delta (三角洲) waterfall(瀑布)
gulf(海湾) straits; channel(海峡) coast line (海岸线) beach(海滩)
1) The Atlantic is the second largest ocean in the world
2) The Atlantic is the saltiest ocean in the world
3) Puerto Rico Trench is the deepest in the Atlantic Ocean.
4) Gulf Stream is the strongest warm water current in the Atlantic Ocean.
5) The Grand Banks near Newfoundland is the most prosperous fishing region in the world.
6) The drainage area of the Atlantic is four times that of the Pacific or the Indian.
the Mississippi 密西西比河 the Hudson 哈得逊河 the Amazon 亚马逊河
the Congo 刚果河 Baffin Bay 巴芬湾 the Nigeria 尼日利亚河
the Rhine 莱茵河 the Caribbean Sea 加勒比海 the Mexican Gulf 墨西哥湾
the Hudson Bay 哈得逊湾 the Mediterranean Sea 地中海 the Black Sea 黑海
the North Sea 北海 the Baltic Sea 波罗的克海 Iceland 冰岛
Greenland 格陵兰岛 Faeroe Islands 法罗群岛 Shetland Islands 设得兰岛
Bermudas 百慕大群岛 Azores 亚速尔群岛 Grenada 格陵纳达岛
Antilles 安的列斯群岛 Trinidad Islands 特里尼达群岛 Malvinas Islands 马尔维纳斯群岛